Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Do I Get a Raise?

If the US does go to a national health care does that mean I should get a raise to help off set the tax increase? I mean right now, as part of my salary I get to take part the heath plan they provide. Would the company still provide that, if there is a national heath care program. Would it be worth as much if there is something of lesser quality but free, available?

First let's look at the tax increase. If the nation is providing health care, then that means the nation is paying for it and who pays the nation. That is you and me with our taxes. Since it something they are not doing right now that means they (the nation) doesn't have the money. They will have to find it somewhere meaning more taxes.

At this point, I (I in the pural sense meaning you and I) have taken a pay cut. But if my company no longer is providing any health care then I should expenct a pay raise of $500 to $1000 a month (all depends on how good the company provided plan is).

If I am a union work, this is exactly the question I would be asking.

He said that if health care was nationalized, "it would be one less thing that unions are forced to bargain over and could allow them to turn their attention to things like wages, rather than having to deal with things like health care benefits."