Thursday, August 23, 2007

Witches PR or Christian Symbolism

I have never read any of the book or seen the movies, even though I am a big fantasy and sci-fi reader but if this take on the Harry Potter books is true(found originally over at Townhall.com), then Jo Rowling is owed a big apology from some small people.

What I make of that is that Jo Rowling has a wonderful talent for tapping into Biblical and literary symbolism. From the very beginning, I've believed that Hogwarts is the literary representation of the Christian Church.

As I have said some of the treatment she has received is Just Plain Wrong from anybody claiming to be a Christian. Even if it isn't her motivation, she should never receive ill treatment nor a threats in the name of God, for her writings.

As for why I have never read them , it is a mix of a perception (by me) that they are kids books and that it appeared to me (with no research) to be a PR tool for Wiccans. I have never said anything more negative then "there not for me". If Jo Rowlings ever did come out and say that they are in the same mold as C.S. Lewis's creations, I still don't think I would read them. Why? They just don't appeal to me.